Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ho-Wii Fun!

On friday night, instead of going out, I had the pleasure of playing Nintendo Wii for the first time at a friend's house. After about two hours, I had gone to the bowling alley, performed abismally at a home run derby, ventured to the tennis courts, and punched and got punched out by my friend in the boxing ring - all without leaving my friend's living room OR spending a cent. I am no gamer, but WOW, what a break through!

On my way home, I got to thinking about how the world of video games has changed significantly from the 90's. Remember good ol' Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis? Yes, they were both great systems, and Sonic the Hedgehod and Super Mario Brothers were the shiz-nit. But seriously, they got nothin' on Wii.

Now don't get me wrong - I loved and still do love Super Nintendo and am proud to say I can hum the theme song to every level of Super Mario. But since the 90's, I am happy to say that I feel video games have changed for the better. Back in the day, I, and countless other 90's kids, could frequently be found plopped one foot in front of the TV screen, craning our necks playing Nintendo or Sega. But NOW, us same kids can be found jumping around swinging bats and punches in mid-air or throwing imaginary bowling balls at the television! That, to me, is all kinds of awesome.

Sitting infront of the television vs. jumpin' around like a lunatic infront of the television. What's the better situation here? Obviously, in our North Amerian society of increasing obesity, the latter. I'm not saying that Wii will in any way solve all health problems, but alteast it encourages physical activity more so than pushing the controller to where you wanted Mario to jump did. And in present day society, where kids enjoy playing with toys like Webkins, physical activity is just what they need.

Obviously, there are still things about Super Nintendo and Sega that I will sorely miss. These primarily being the games. Paperboy, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, 3 Ninjas Kick Back. And pre Super Nintendo, Blades of Steel and Duck Hunt. As I said previously, I am no gamer, so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure these games don't yet exist on Wii?

On the bright side, I look forward to venturing further into the world of Wii, and experiencing an all new way to game. But, at the same time, I will never neglect to play Super Nintendo or Sega given the opportunity. So what's the verdict - old school gaming systems or Nintendo Wii? Like I said before, Nintendo Wii wins the battle. But Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis will always hold a special spot in my heart. Think of it like your first love, that bond can never die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun with the Wii this weekend!
I still have the old Nintendo in our basement that no one ever plays. Perhaps you can come over and show Anthony how to play ...

Anonymous said...

I think I was ahead of the times. When I played Nintendo with my kids I actually would move my arms or lean a certain way thinking, I could help my player that way!